Sunday, October 23, 2005

I slept until 7:20 today but still feel somewhat yucky. This is getting annoying. I attended the early service here at Trinity and it was a struggle to sing. The teams helped cook and serve lunch for the congregation again but I didn't feel like I should be doing much in that area since I'm sick. I did get to make an ice run since the icemaker seemed to be having trouble and also bussed the tables.

I had thought the guys from Florida were going to assess after church but they left early so I called Roy up once we were done cleaning and got in on the last hour or so of the grid they were working in. I'm glad I did because that's the best job to do here - getting out in the neighborhoods and meeting folks who need help and someone to talk to. By God's grace we met a couple more people just as we were leaving the area who needed help. One woman hadn't really gotten much of anything done in her house and was overjoyed by our offer of free help. "Thank you, God!" She had just gotten a quote of $2400 the day before to do just a small portion of the work.

The team from northern IN arrived as we got back. They seem to be a good bunch. I left for Biloxi to assess the house of a church member we had learned about while we were assessing in west Gulfport. They had a beautiful home in a nice neighborhood, but had gotten 8 feet of water and discovered like many people their insurance did not cover the contents. While we have heard some good insurance stories, the great majority will not cover most of the costs faced.

I started reading 'A Mile In My Shoes' by Trevor Hudson. It's about cultivating compassion, which is one of the main things I've been asking of God for many months. So far it's a great read and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who desires to deepen their faith walk. I don't even have to read it to know that because I met Trevor 2 summers ago at the Soulfeast conference at Lake Junaluska. He's a pastor from South Africa who's been instrumental in healing his country's scars from apartheid. My wife recommended I read this while here and I can see already it's quite appropriate for anyone who does mission work. I hope I can keep up with reading it. Well, it's time for the team meeting now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home