Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The wind and rain started about 10:45 last night and didn't let up until 5:45. Thankfully they reopened some shelters last night in anticipation of the threatening weather last night and cold weather to follow. It was pretty chilly when we woke up and the wind was biting. I put on both my insulated shirt and my windbreaker since the POD is out in the middle of the parking lot with no tent. I went on an errand and saw several people walking around with nothing but a normal shirt. It sickens me to know so much clothing has gotten down here but very few places can distribute it. You may think this is a huge distribution center below.


You'd be wrong though - it's the local Walmart, one of the few businesses that is open here. This one also has some major appliances for sale.


84 Lumber is also going with limited stock and there's a tiny hardware store just north of the tracks that had 4 feet of water in it (surprisingly little for here, especially that close to the coast) which looked like nothing had ever happened. I had to go there to find some padlocks.

This afternoon I went over to Gulfport on more errands. Mostly so I could go to a fully-stocked Walmart. The one in Slidell has also been "normal" for over a month. At least the lines at that Walmart weren't really long anymore. I also stopped in the UMCOR office while I was over there and things haven't changed much. There are still many groups coming down in the next 2 months.

Not much left to say. It's supposedly high 40s now though it sure feels colder, which is saying something coming from me if you ask my wife. The kitchen/internet cafe is in a canopy tent. My fingers are getting cold. It's supposed to get near freezing the next 2 nights. I'm going to pass on the outdoor showers regardless of how hot the water is. I sure hope people make it to a shelter or have blankets to stay warm in their cars/tents. We learned this morning of a single mother being evicted from her rental after getting a full time nursing job because the landlord wants to sell the house. We were supposed to send some people over to help her out. I hope all went well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coat drives are ongoing for the coast. Thanks for keeping us posted.

November 17, 2005 at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home