Sunday, November 13, 2005

My trip to Wiggins was wasted because the UMCOR warehouse was essentially empty except for a few cases of soap and toothbrushes. The manager was out delivering things to a relief area in Pass Christian so I took the clothes I picked up at Trinity down there and then headed to Waveland. When I got to the New Waveland Cafe and market area, I got a work shirt and was assigned to work the FEMA "pod" (point of distribution) section so I passed out MREs, water and ice all afternoon. I also learned how to operate a forklift. It was fun except the up/down lever is opposite of what logic would dictate. You can find out a little more about this relief center.

The Rainbow people served up 1005 servings for dinner tonight. They are having their meeting next to the PCs as I type this. They may or may not be Christian, but they are down here doing a very needed service for this community. All volunteers here are starting to think of ways to transition the community to the closing in less than 2 weeks. Apparently there will be a food pantry opening somewhere.

I'm thinking I may just stay here most of my trip since they are closing down after Thanksgiving meal. I know of many areas having Thanksgiving meals so I'm rather torn where I should spend it. I plan to drive home that Saturday so I have more chance to relax, reflect and get things in order before going to Lafayette to work for a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home