Thursday, November 17, 2005

Traffic was slower today through the relief area, likely because of the weather. It was sunny but only in the mid 50s today. Here I am loading water into a car at the POD. We also have ice and small, easily-prepared package meals we hand out here now. This is for anyone and is provided via FEMA. The "market" area has a variety of other donated food, cleaning and hygiene supplies and various odds and ends county residents can pick up.


I stopped by the iCare Village being set up by the Morrell Foundation at Buccaneer State Park. It opened Oct 13 to house workers and they are currently working on getting utilities installed throughout the park. Individuals cannot stay there but groups doing relief work can for $10 per person per night. Groups will need to schedule their own work projects in the area. See their website for contact info under the 'How Can I Help' section.

While I was out I saw some other sections of Waveland south of the tracks that weren't quite as destroyed as Coleman Ave. Generally there were houses that just collapsed so all the debris was in one large pile on or near the slab like these 2 homes.


It will be 28-34 tonight depending on location. It was cold in the trailer and several tents last night because a circuit breaker tripped after we were asleep. Hopefully that won't happen tonight. I think I'll turn off one of the 3 space heaters to ease the communal load on the circuit.

I'm off to eat now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home