Tuesday, August 01, 2006

We finished up what we were to do on the house we started at yesterday. The boys got a taste of rolling paint and enjoyed themselves. Since we finished early, I took off to Hancock County to visit some of the places I worked at. I stopped at the new Camp Gulfside where UM volunteers stay and met someone I worked with in Nov who had a team of youth down! We're going to hopefully have dinner tomorrow. I stopped in Clermont Harbor and saw the new church building, the results of an 8-day blitz build. I stopped by one of the houses I gutted and the owner has gotten quite a bit of work done. He's been doing it almost all himself at age 75. In fact, he had started gutting it, too, back then and it was very hard for him to ask for help. He was thrilled to see me and show off the progress he's made.
The Mitchell's were here when I stopped in tonight to update my blog so I quickly caught up with them. They may not be doing hard labor like me, but they are working harder I think doing what they can for the people here. Over 5500 families in Harrison County are without homes, and the suicide and homicide rates are climbing. These people need our help! I'm encouraged by the number of people I see here now but I suspect it will drop off a lot once August is over. Trinity doesn't have anyone coming in for next week though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home