Thursday, July 30, 2009

So it's been nearly 6 months for an update this time. Sigh. Let's see - both Merrie and I are a year older now.

The boys did pretty well in their various schools. Sydney moves up to middle school and Stephan will be a senior. Samuel moves on to 3 year old preschool class if he gets potty trained in the next month. He apparently likes to "read" books now though.

Stephan just turned 19. He's been working at the White Violet Center for Eco-justice at St. Mary's again this summer, dealing with pretty much everything in their garden or caring for alpacas.

Sydney and I did an overnight backpack trip the end of May to test out some new equipment I'd bought or made in hopes of future trips. He had his first Boy Scout camp and completed 2 merit badges and many of his requirements for the first 3 ranks despite having a badly twisted ankle that prevented him from walking for a week prior. He even won the Golden K award for the first aid area for his standout attitude. 4 days after we returned we went whitewater rafting in southern KY. That was his first time and mine in 25 years. They earned a merit badge for that as well.

Our whole family decided to attend Soulfeast again despite the economics, and it was a great time had by all at Lake Junaluska, NC. We got there a little late since my grandparents celebrated 70 years together (about a month early) in northern OH the day it started. It was good to see many of my cousins again, too. After Soulfeast, I embarked on my first major backpacking trip, spanning 11 days in Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I'm looking forward to more trips and hoping Sydney will join me on some.

No, the remodeling isn't done yet. :p I do have all the drywall up in the foyer and stairwell so I can now mud that and then work on finishing that part and the upstairs. It will have taken more than a year by the time I get this portion finished though. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home